Thursday, January 22, 2015

American Sniper

     Okay, so I know it has been a while since my last post. Believe me, I have seen a ton of movies in the past month or so since I've posted something; however, none of the movies I have viewed previously have been remotely good enough to even write about. Yet, one move I saw just last weekend really stuck with me. I am sure we have all heard of Bradley Cooper's new movie American Sniper. Kudos to you, Clint Eastwood, for directing one of the most horrific yet terrific movies I have seen in a while.
     I watch a lot of movies. Therefore, my standards on movies are relatively high. It takes a lot for a movie to truly stick with me. This movie did just that. Bradley Cooper did such a phenomenal job of portraying Chris Kyle. I am not one for war movies. My boyfriend makes me watch a lot of them and most of the time I try to stay in my own perfect world where war is dramatized and fictitious in movies. American Sniper was so gripping that it was impossible to go into my happy place. The movie encompassed every aspect of war: what happens to the families when a family member is out at war? What is going on over seas? What happens after a tour? Why do people want to fight in war? All of these questions were answered. Nothing about the movie was remotely settling. The happy scenes were something the viewer had to treasure because the rest was so sad and horrifying. I can't lie and say I didn't tear up in this film. This movie made me want to go out and personally thank every single veteran in the war. I have so much respect for people who want to join the military because I know it is a difficult job, but this movie made me open my eyes to it a little more. These people put their lives on the line every day and witness these horrifying events just to protect our country. That's a big deal.
     SPOILER ALERT: The violent scenes were so real to me, that I actually cried while watching them. This guy they call the butcher is shown drilling a hole into a little boy's head and all you can hear is this little boy screaming. Bradley Cooper's face said it all in the film. He could only sit there and watch. His first kill is that of a little boy and a woman. I mean to realize that this stuff is happening in our world is absolutely disgusting. I wanted to keep my eyes shut. The whole ordeal was disturbing. This was definitely one of Bradley Cooper's most memorable performances to me. He did a phenomenal job of portraying a man who is human just like us but loses himself once he experiences all of these tragic events. He dehumanizes into  a killing machine where he no longer has to think about who is the bad guy and who he is willing to save. I have never been to war, but I imagine that happens to many soldiers. My old history teacher used to tell me war stories of when he was in Afghanistan. He even admitted that it changed him.
      I saw this movie with my boyfriend and the first words I said to him as we left while I was in a puddle of tears were "please don't join the military." As horrible as that sounds, I have concluded that there is no way I could be an army wife. I applaud all of those who are capable of sustaining that kind of relationship, because I would be a mess. This movie just changed me in some way. I saw a whole new view of the world I never imagined I could. I would recommend this movie to anyone. It was horrifying and sickening, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment